Thursday, March 19, 2015

Ontbijkoek


My handphone has been 'sick' for about 4 days, and I was surprised to found out, I am actually okay without it. LOL

So the days I didn't get to be able to type or browse, what I did was exploring more about a cake, a dutch cake, which my mom was asked to make, once, and it happened that my hubby's friend also asked if I could make it. 

This cake is called Ontbijkoek. The dutch usually eat it during breakfast, as ontbijkoek literally means breakfast cake. 

The dutch usually serve it with a thick butter layer on top, as a replacement for bread. 

Here, in Indonesia, youngsters are very unfamiliar with the cake. The elder are the ones who usually know it, and really know how it tastes, as our country once were civilized by the dutch for 3.5 years. 

What I made, is an Indonesian ontbijkoek modifications, which usually made with sponge cake method. 

Again, I got the recipe from Mbak Ricke's blog, my all time favorite blogger. 

Ingredients

5 eggs 
1 teaspoon cake emulsifier
100 gram brown sugar/ palm sugar
50 gram granulated sugar
100 gram all purpose flour
25 gram corn flour
20 gram skim milk
2 teaspoon spekoek powder
75 gram of melted margarine/ butter
Almond slice for topping

Method :
  1. Preheat the oven to 175C.
  2. Line a loaf tin.
  3. Beat in the eggs, granulated sugar, palm sugar, cake emulsifier in bowl with a low speed mixer until well combined. 
  4. In a separate bowl, sift all purpose flour, spekoek powder, corn flour, and skim milk. 
  5. Combine the sifted ingredients and eggs mixture, and fold in using a spatula. 
  6. Add melted margarine/ butter until no margarine/butter left in the bottom of the bowl. 
  7. Pour in the prepared loaf tin and place in the preheated oven.
  8. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
  9. Leave to cool for 5 minutes in the tin, then take it out and leave to cool completely on a wire rack. 


If you want to experience a dutch breakfast long time ago, enjoy a slice of it in the early morning with a cup of hot tea. Yummm...


No comments: