Friday, January 30, 2015

Gluten Free Choco Chip Cookies - 1st Trial


We are one family who loves to eat, to cook and to bake. My older son has a very noble wish: to be a junior masterchef someday. LOL. No kidding. 

Based on his wish, currently we start to let him do such an easy cookings like scramble eggs, and other type of fryings. 

For baking, we still allow him to help, up to preparation and simple steps, such as rolling dough, etc. 

He loves to eat cookies and breads, but his most favorite food is red velvet. What a taste for a little boy! I, as his mommy of course feels very satisfied to see his fast development for his age. 

Because of him, I'd always want to try a gluten free cakes and cookies, since I always do a lot of cooking and baking trial, and he is a one of a kind loyal tester. LOL. 

From the literatures I read, gluten is kinda need to be reduced from kids meal, because its content could harm the kids digestion.

But, if you reduce gluten which is founded in wheat flour, you might lose some cakes and cookies ability to rise, structural stability, and chewiness. 

Therefore, I need to find the best GFF(Gluten Free Flour) mix and this is my first trial. 

In this recipe, I am using GFF formula based on dapur ummu sasyi suggestions, which is: 

6:2:1 of rice flour:tapioca:corn starch
For cookies, and

7:2:1 of rice flour:tapioca:corn starch
For cakes. 

And for my first trial of GFF, I chose a chocochip cookies, my son's all time favorites cookies. 



I found the recipe from minimalist baker which only uses 7 ingredients:

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup + 2 Tbsp gluten free baking mix* >> I am using my own GFF+ 1/2 tsp each baking soda, baking powder and salt, and 10 more tbsp of GFF mix
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

INSTRUCTIONS
Using a mixer, cream butter and sugars in a large mixing bowl.
Add egg and vanilla and beat again until well combined, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
Add gluten free baking mix in two batches and mix again. It won't be so thick that you can't continue mixing it, but it should appear "doughy."
Stir in chocolate chips, cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 4-6 hours until thoroughly chilled. You should be able to roll the dough into balls before baking >> I refrigerated for 1 hour only. 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Once chilled, scoop out rounded Tablespoon amounts of dough, roll them into balls and place them 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are just slightly golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for up to several days. Freezer for longer term storage. 

Review :
- The dough is not as dry as common cookies dough, maybe because the GFF does not absorp liquid as fast as wheat flour. 
- The result, imo, is somewhat needs to be added some sugar and dark chocolate. 
- The texture is not stable, but just as good as the mnbkr's texture, though.

Conclusion: I need another trial for getting the correct GFF mix. Wish me luck! ;)

No comments: